Skip to main content

Robe & cheescake

Back to school time always seems to be the time of year where I look at my business and evaluate the good, the bad, and the ugly.  I suppose most people do this at the end of the calendar year, or at the end of the fiscal year, but for me with school age children, fall seems to work.  The oldest moves to college and the youngest is in high school all day after a summer of go-go-go.  Unfortunately, I do tend to spend the first few days of back-to-school in my robe, curled up, eating cheesecake (rather Miss Havisham!).
So once the cheesecake is gone (and I've had a shower) I sit down and look at my schedule for the past and upcoming year.  Working with lots of other busy people, I've learned that I get a better reponse when everyone is able to put the big events on their calendars as early as possible.  Calendars can get filled up so quickly these days!
I like to pull out my packets from the past year's events.  I look at the participation of consultants and customers.  I look at the budget.  I look at the notes and evaluations from after the event.  Did customers like the event?  Did consultants?  How much return on investment did we get?  Should we do it again?  What can we tweek to make it better?  Who is ready to step up and take on some additional responsibility?
I take some time to look through my team list.  Because I tend to see those who are actively involved on my team every month or 2, I have a good sense of who might be ready to take on additional leadership.  Their sales and recruiting numbers are not their complete story.  People can be good at selling and even recruiting, but not be ready, willing or able to be a leader.  Some people very naturally exhibit leadership skills, but they may not be in a season where sales & recruiting is a priority.  I look at their potential for the upcoming year.
I look at my personal goals.  Since this is only the middle of August, I still have time to meet my yearly goals (and fall tends to be an awesome time in my business).
I look at my personal motivation.  Do I still love what I do?  Can I change the things I don't love?  Am I willing to work through the things I don't like because I love the rest?  What do I need to learn?  What can I improve?
Take some time to re-evaluate your leadership.  If you wait until the end of the year, you may miss out on some opportunities this year.  You also won't be ready to hit the ground running on January 1st.  And, hopefully, you won't need your robe and cheesecake to get it done!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's about them

One of my leadership activities is being a business coach. I help others identify their goals and plan strategies to achieve their goals. Very often, the initial coaching goes something like this- "What are your goals?" "These are my goals." "What do you need to do to achieve these goals?" "I need to do a,b,c." "When do you want to have these goals achieved?" "By this date." And then off they go. OK- so there is more, but this boils it down to the essentials. Next coaching (after they have actually done some of the steps) sometimes goes like this- "No one will a or b." "What was their objection?" "I asked them to a or b for me, and they just said no." "What did you offer them?" "I offered them a or b and they said no." "What was in it for them?" "I didn't even get to tell them because they said no." "So why would they want a or b?&quo

Excuse or reason?

This past weekend, I listened to Sue Rusch, who is a Strategic Consultant, Speaker, & Business Coach (and also very tall).  Of all the wonderful information she gave (and there was a lot), the one quote that really struck home for me was, "We can look at family as an excuse , or a reason ."  Ouch!  It's so easy to avoid the work that I know I need to do, by saying "my family time is more important".  But what am I calling "family time"?  Sitting in a dance studio during lessons?  Watching tv while the rest of my family watches another tv?  Sitting on a field watching soccer practice?  Dinner together (but barely half the family is there)?  Choose what is important.  And be there.  Remember the reasons that you chose leadership.  And if your leadership is important, schedule your activities.  And be there .  No excuses. Thanks to everyone who is regularly (or even occasionally) reading this blog. I've been covering a lot of situations that ha

What a difference a day makes

Shortly after I woke up this morning, I started thinking about how different my morning was yesterday.  Yesterday - dizzy, spinning (and worse), today - calm (where's my coffee?).  Yesterday - "how will I get everything done that's on my schedule?", today - "what still needs to be done?".  Yesterday - laying in bed (or on the floor), today - working at my computer & making phone calls.  Yesterday - couldn't even think about food, today - where IS my coffee?  Yesterday, I was reminded that sometimes other people need to take care of things so that I can take care of my most important things.  Yesterday, it was taking care of my health so that I could be productive today.  Sometimes, it's saying "no" to a project or commitment, so that I can say "yes" to the things that make the most difference.  Sometimes you need to take a day, a few hours, or a few minutes to take care of yourself, so that you can be your best today.  Will yo