Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Huggers

I am not a hugger.
I don't know why.  Maybe it's my upbringing (just kidding, Mom!).  But I am not a hugger.
This may surprise some of you who have been the victim of a full-on, frontal assault hug.
Here's what I've learned:
When I worked in Connecticut for a New York-based company, we didn't hug.  We shook hands, we kissed on each cheek, but we didn't hug.
Now I live in the mid-west and lead a team of huggers.  So I am now a hugger.  Not because I like to hug, but because the people around me like to hug.
And you know the funny part?  I've even grown to like it!
Are you a hugger?  Do you have something that hangs you up in your interactions?  Something that keeps you separated from the people you lead?  Try to look at it from their perspective.  Will a "hug" go miles toward unity?  Will a "hug" boost someone's self-esteem.  Will a "hug" tell someone that you notice and appreciate them?
And you know the funny part?  You may even grow to like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment